Thankful, grateful, and extremely blessed. 2020 has been a tough year for us all, but, just like any other year, there is still so so much that we can be thankful for. Surprisingly enough, 2020 was one of my better years – I started my platform here on The Pink Chickadee, maintained and restored connections with both family and friends, accomplished a lot within my academic and extracurricular lives at school, and worked on growing and loving myself more than ever before. While many things stunk about 2020, one thing that remains the same is the outlook that we have: it’s transformative. Today, I am sharing 20 of the many things that I am thankful for in 2020.
- Technology – Whether it be Zoom, social media platforms, Google, softwares, or texting/email, technology has allowed us to stay connected and keep going with our lives in ways like never before. As Covid-19 has kept us all at home, technology has been the one consistent thing that has remained in allowing our lives to go on when essentially it feels like the world has stopped.
- Community – I have discovered in 2020 more so than ever before how much of a community that I have and am apart of. Throughout the course of the pandemic, I have reconnected with friends both old and new as well as family members. At the same time, I have joined communities of other influencers, Lilly Pulitzer lovers, and bloggers and friends via The Pink Chickadee. Most importantly, all of us are going through the same thing amidst Covid-19. The community of us all sticking together is extraordinary.
- Good Health – Fortunately, I have been able to remain in good health this year. Not only have I been able to maintain my good health, but others around me such as family members and friends along with others have been too.
- Compassion – There is and has been so much hate and negativity in this world, especially in 2020. At the same time, I have witnessed an enormous amount of compassion and love from others. People have come together to give back, learn from, and provide to those that can and are struggling. Compassion is what will keep our world moving even more forward than years prior.
- Food to Eat (and to Choose What I Eat) – The ability to even have the choice to eat what I want to eat is a privilege. It is a privilege that many of us take for granted, but it is something to be grateful for. Food is what fuels us all to move forward and stay healthy and even keep going in this beautiful world. That is a blessing.
- Connections – Through having a community, I am able to make connections with other people. Having these connections has allowed me to bond with others which is such a blessing. Even in the craziness of 2020, I am and have been able to connect with others and establish relationships like never before.
- A Closet Full of Clothes – Like being able to have food to eat and choose what I eat, having a closet full of clothes is the same ordeal. I love love love fashion. Clothes have been a major part of my life and have kept me going through the trials that come with life, specifically in 2020.
- The Ability to Travel – Travel is a privilege. It is a privilege that I really truly enjoy, even if I am traveling to somewhere close to home. I love getting to explore brand-new places along with places that I am revisiting, essentially. Travel is a gift that I have grown evermore passionate for. Even if 2020 has limited those travels, it is still a gift that I am super grateful to have and be able to enjoy doing.
- Family – My family is what keeps me going. I love them so so so much. They have been there for me through thick and thin, especially during this pandemic and everything going on in 2020. Even beyond 2020, my family is everything and will be my everything moving forward. They are a great consistency in my life and will be moving forward. That is such a great thing to give thanks for.
- A Roof Over My Head – Having a home or apartment to live in is a blessing. I have been oh so grateful to have somewhere to live and have shelter. So many people have lost their homes and places that they have lived this year. I cannot imagine the fear and insecurity that these people have gone through. Knowing what others have gone through makes me so grateful, but also have the compassion to give and provide for others.
- Access to an Education – Several people in several countries are not even able to have an education. In fact, women in so many countries cannot even get an education in their own countries. Education is the way out of poverty and to be able to afford things in life such as food, shelter, and clothing. I am so thankful that I do have an education and have had an education practically my entire life.
- Friendship – Besides my family, my friends are pretty much my everything, too. They are, in fact, the family that I have that are not my blood relatives. It is a blessing to be able to have them and to make many many memories with them now and into the future.
- Animals (especially MY DOG!!!) – 2020 has been rough, y’all, but animals make it so much better. I am in several animal-oriented Facebook Groups as well as follow numerous accounts of people who have pets as well. Most importantly, my dog aka my Yorkie Butters has been such a big part in my life. Butters is my bestie dog, and he has been there for me through thick and thin for the past 12 years. Having him in my life is something that I am extremely thankful for.
- Good Safety – Being able to stay and remain safe on a regular basis and for the majority of my time is something that I do not take for granted. Feeling safe is a basic right, but unfortunately, not for everybody. That is something that I am very thankful for.
- My Platform on The Pink Chickadee and Ever-growing Network – My blog and platform on The Pink Chickadee has made me super happy this past year. I have been able to work towards helping others and helping myself. Not only have I grown my platform, but I have grown my network and connections and platform. I am oh so grateful for all of this that The Pink Chickadee has given me!!!!
- Passion – Passion is what drives our world. This world goes round and round and round with others like myself having our own individual passions. While I have passions for fashion, travel, and data science, others have their own various passions that make themselves happy. Seeing others happy makes me happy.
- Electricity – Getting to be able to live in a place with electricity is such a blessing. Not only is it a blessing, but it is a privilege that I and many of us can take for granted. Having a heated home, chargers for our devices, and lights when it is dark outside is something that should not ever be taken for granted.
- Holidays (Christmas, Thanksgiving, Easter, New Year’s, etc.) – Even in the midst of Covid-19, having holiday’s is something that I love. Holiday’s bring others together and I love that – it is such a treat. Christmas, Thanksgiving, and Easter, OH MY!!!! Let’s celebrate!!!
- Togetherness – Whether virtually or in-person, being together with others is such a blessing. 2020 has taught me that I can and will continue to get together with others on a virtual format. That feeling of togetherness, even if it is virtual, is such a grateful thing to have.
- Access to Running Water – Several people in this world do not have access to running water. I feel really really really lucky that I live in a home with running water. Running water keeps all of us healthy and that access right then and there in our homes is a privilege that we should all be thankful for.
2020 was not easy, but there are so many blessings that we can still count like never before. This year has taught me to look at the simple things in life – the things that simply keep us going on a daily basis. Remember to count your blessings today and everyday and in 2020 and beyond.
XOXO – Katie <3