Graduation preparations, my final semester of college consisting of 18 credit hours, the job search, running and striving to grow a business, and several officer/committee/chair positions along with, not to mention, a worldwide pandemic occurring through it all are the many things that I am up to at the moment. To say that my life is crazy would be an UNDERSTATEMENT! Although I could sit here and say that my life is insane as it is, others are going through similar forms of insanity in their own lives. Let’s get this straight: we ALL ARE! That’s why we all need to focus on the importance of self love during these crazy times.
The coronavirus pandemic has been going on for over a year now. Our lives have been disrupted from what we considered “normal” for 10 months and going strong to approach 11 months and a year in the coming weeks/months. None of us like the things that we have had to give up during this pandemic. IT SUCKS!!!!! Covid-19 is also extremely draining in our lives, too. Not to mention, the ways that our lives have seem to go on through it all have led to Winter 2021 becoming the crazy season that it is. Life is always crazy, but yet life during a pandemic deems the craziest of them all.
We all know that there are several struggles that have occurred during this tough time in our world. Many people have lost their jobs, experiences, homes, possessions, loved ones, and even their lives. These are trying times. It is HARD! Times are tough, but we have to remember to keep going through it all.
In the end, we all have one another to look after. We MUST support our friends and family members. While it is important to check on our friends and family members along with those in our community, we also must take the time to check in on ourselves. In order to accomplish all that you are doing, you need to be able to take the time to show yourself some love and care. Yes, even during a global pandemic when you may not feel that you have the time to/can.
There are several ways to show yourself some love and care, whether or not we are in a pandemic. Below, I have listed some of many ways to show yourself some love that are social distancing-friendly and Covid-19 safe:
- Read a good book
- Catch up with a friend/family member who you haven’t seen/heard from in awhile
- Go for a walk, whether it be somewhere old or new
- Try a new recipe in the comfort of your own kitchen
- Take some time to scroll through your Pinterest feed
- Take a hike
- If you have a pet, spend some time cuddling with it
- Drink a nice warm cup of tea or if you’re me and you love caffeine then coffee
- Make a bucket list of all the places/things even if they’re little things that you want to do and start conquering it little by little
- Call an older relative or family friend
- Schedule a therapy appointment
- Check in on your friends and family
- Take a nap
- Watch a good movie or TV show – I’ve been LOVING Catfish and old The Bachelor Franchise episodes on Hulu
- Volunteer at a distance
- Go online shopping without actually ordering anything
- Read a paperback magazine
- Reorganize something in your place of residence
- Enjoy a nice long bath
Times are tough, but there are ways that you can better yourself and help those around you while at it. Though most of us are spending our time elsewhere especially during these trying times, it is vital that we spend time with ourselves as well. In order to be our best selves and put our best foot forward, we must be willing to take the time needed for ourselves and ourselves ONLY.
XOXO – Katie <3