Long time, no life of Katie. Life has been crazy since my last Life of Katie blog post. Unfortunately, my mental health has been struggling since I turned 23. Surprisingly enough, May has always been a good month for me besides it being my Birthday month (my Birthday is May 1) – I graduated from college, watched my best friends graduate from college, celebrated several accomplishments of mine and others’, moved to Washington, DC, and even got my first-ever designer Kate Spade bag (something I had DREAMED of for years before) during the month of May. But, this month has proven to be different than past years. It hasn’t been easy this month, but this month has taught me a lot, too. On the flip side, there have been some blessings this month as well.
- Cancelled trip to Boston turned into shopping spree – So, I shared on my Instagram (follow me @_thepinkchickadee!), that I recently cancelled my trip to Boston. I was planning to visit my cousin which is something I’ve wanted to do for YEARS now. The reasoning behind my trip cancellation was due to the high COVID-19 rates in the Boston area, as I live with my grandfather whom I call Papa. However, despite cancelling my trip to Boston and the disappoint that it caused me, it worked out for the better. I am planning to go back to Boston with my best friend Hannah (whose going to also visit her family up there, too!) and go when it is safer COVID-19 wise, too. We will also see our mutual Meredith College friend Miranda who is at Optometry school in Boston, too, and happened to be out of town when I was planning to be there. At the same time, I decided to treat myself over the weekend with a mini shopping spree to Home Goods, Target, 2nd Avenue thrift store, Marshall’s, The Christmas Tree Shops, Kendra Scott, and Jack Rogers. Well, maybe not a mini shopping spree – haha! Some of my finds include – Sam Edelman dress, Lilly Pulitzer cooler, Flamingo tiered basket, Flamingo basket, Washington, DC framed print, “DC is my Happy Place” decorative block, Nanette Nanette Lepore business casual dresses, J McLaughlin flats, Flamingo Tumbler, Pineapple Sprinkler (courtesy of the Target Dollar Spot!), and a floppy straw beach hat. Needless to say, it was such GREAT therapy 🙂
- Planning 2022 road trips – For the time being, I am going to stick to road trips. In just a few weeks, my best friend from New Jersey – Amanda – is coming to visit me down in Washington, DC. Next month, my Papa and best friend Bree and I are all going to the Delaware beaches where our best friend Alanna will ALSO happen to be that same exact long weekend. Papa and I are planning a road trip to Maine and Canada this summer. This will be my first time abroad since Summer 2019 when I went to Belize, and I am SUPER excited to explore some parts of Canada that I’ve always wanted to see. As for this Fall, I have a trip to Charleston, South Carolina; Okoboji, Iowa; Greenville, North Carolina; and Raleigh, North Carolina all on the horizon (well, as of right now!). And, there will be a road trip to Charlotte, North Carolina; Annapolis, Maryland; Asheville, North Carolina; Raleigh, North Carolina; and even New Jersey in between it all!
- Redecoration for summer – With my vacation turned shopping spree behind me, I, then, went over to do some redecoration in areas of my apartment that I had *surprise* yet decorated. My dining area needed some much needed renovations via my bar cart and dresser in the dining room. It was nice to be able to deck my place ALL out. That area of my apartment used to be CLUTTER CENTRAL & it felt SO SO SO good to be able to add some extra pizzaz to it all!
- Loving Starbucks’ new Chocolate Cream Cold Brew – So, if you know me, then you know that I LOVE Starbucks. I mean, I spend quite a bit of money there – sorry not sorry!!! So, when Starbucks released their brand-new Chocolate Cream Cold Brew, I knew that I HAD TO try it. Turns out that I am obsessed with this drink. I have ordered it at least 4 times since it was released and I hope to even more in the coming weeks. I *even* ordered it and purchased one of Starbucks’s new oh so adorable $3 tumblers.
- Recent thrift store haul with designer gems – Last week during my cancelled trip turned not-so-mini shopping spree, I kicked off the shopping spree with a trip to my local 2nd Avenue thrift store. In case you didn’t know, 2nd Avenue thrift store is a super thrift store chain that plays homage to several thrift stores along at least the Mid-Atlantic East Coast of the United States (there are 2 locations within about a 20 minute drive from my house in opposite directions). I haven’t been to my local 2nd Avenue since January of this year, so I was definitely due for another trip, especially with the time off! Well, I found A BUNCH of good stuff while shopping at BARGAIN prices. These great bargains include: a Lilly Pulitzer romper, Jack Rogers jelly sandals, Lilly Pulitzer vintage pants, Rabbit Rabbit Rabbit Designs chiffon midi gown, and Vera Bradley printed mug, Tommy Hilfiger business casual dress – ALLL for under $80. Needless to say, I am ECSTATIC about my scores!
- Old Bay Goldfish obsession – Ever since I was a little girl, I have been obsessed with both gold fish (fun fact: wheat gold fish are my FAVORITE!) and Old Bay seasoning. SO, when I found out that Goldfish was launching a limited-edition Old Bay-flavored gold fish flavor, I couldn’t resist trying them! They were AMAZING!!! I even *yes even* found a recipe through my friend from college too.
With May being full of wayyyy too many hauls, including getting my DREAM Badgley Mischka heels, my FabFitFun Summer 2022 box, using my Lilly Pulitzer Birthday discount to get my Gift With Purchase pouch, and my Boston cancelled trip-turned-shopping spree, and two great weekends with my best friends Alanna and Hannah both here in Washington, DC and in Raleigh, I have felt so blessed to be able to make some great memories and enjoy the little moments in between it all. However, I am MORE than ready for June aka next week – filled with vacations, my best friend Bree moving up to Washington, DC for the summer starting June 1, my best friend Amanda visiting me, my brother Will graduating from high school, Pride in Washington, DC aka Capital Pride, and much more. Bring it ALLL on!!!
XOXO – Katie <3