New year, same ‘The Life of Katie” blog posts coming your way – LOL! Well, it’s my first blog post of 2023! My new year kicked off with a bang, as my Papa and I went to visit my Dad, Step Mom, brother Will, and their Yorkie Ginger at their home in Bethany Beach, Delaware. We all had a nice dinner (with champagne!) at the gorgeous Shorebreak Lodge in nearby Rehoboth Beach, Delaware and then went to sleep and, well, woke up and it was 2023. I hope y’all had an AMAZING jump into the new year as I’m feeling that it’ll be a good one for me. And, as always, here are some updates into *none other than* the life of Katie!!
- My new favorite cocktail – The other day, Papa and I went on our *final* Christmas-y outing of the 2022 season: to National Harbor in Oxon Hill, Maryland. National Harbor is located right across the Woodrow Wilson bridge (the bridge separating Virginia and Maryland via the Potomac River – I think) on the Maryland side with many fun shops, restaurants, the gorgeous and iconic Gaylord Hotel, waterfront views, and the also iconic Capital Wheel aka a ferris wheel. Well, while we were at National Harbor this time around, we went to one of Papa’s favorites: McCormick & Schmidt’s where I got to enjoy an espresso martini! And, let me just say that it has recently become my new favorite cocktail!!! I even ordered one while in Delaware the next day. Here’s to MANY more espresso martinis in 2023!
- A day trip to Lewes, Delaware – While on our New Year’s trip to Delaware, Dad and I took a day trip to Lewes, Delaware: the first town in the first state. Lewes is a very gorgeous Dutch-inspired town alongside the Delaware coast. Dad and I walked around the main downtown streets, admired the Dutch-inspiration within the building’s architecture, checked out some shops, and enjoyed a nice lunch at the Hotel Rodney. One of the town’s shops has an old, replica flag of the 13 colonies of the United States – HOW neat is that?! It was super nice to be able to get some quality time with my Dad, and I hope to explore some of the museums that Lewes has to offer on a future Delaware visit.
- My first thrifting haul of 2023 – 2023 kicked off with a thrift haul where I *just* practically purchased some new pieces for my Spring 2023 wardrobe. I went to Bee Thrifty, located off of 123/Ox Road in Woodbridge, Virginia – the SAME thrift store that my fellow Instagram bestie Stephanie of @slythestlylist loves, too (we plan to shop here together, too sometime!!). I got some great finds too – pieces came from J Crew, Talbots, Banana Republic, Trina Turk, and Vera Bradley – AND a discount. I also got some home decorations, too. I am striving to shop less in 2023, but have set aside a budget for the Lilly Pulitzer Sunshine Sale (which is *hopefully* very very soon!!) and took it from that.
- Taking Rosie to the beach – To end our Delaware New Year’s trip, we went to the Bethany Beach boardwalk. While there, Papa and I just happened to walk in on a New Year’s Day 5K. It was fun, yet chaotic to see, but we made it to the beach after crossing through the 5K finish line *of ALLL things* and survived in one piece. Rosie had A BLAST on the beach, and many memories were made amongst me and Papa and Rosie, too!
- Upcoming January 2023 travels and beyond – I have so many exciting travel plans for 2023! As of right now, I am going on two weekend trips in January: one to Philadelphia, Pennsylvania and Haddonfield, New Jersey to visit my best friend Amanda and another to Raleigh, North Carolina and Chapel Hill, North Carolina to see some of my best college friends. Beyond January, I am planning to see family in New Jersey/Pennsylvania, visit Kentucky with my Mom, and a few other exciting places that I have yet to announce! Stay tuned!!!
Here’s to a GREAT 2023 for us all. May this year be filled with joy and happiness for each and every one of us. 2020, 2021, and 2022 weren’t my favorite years, so I’m hoping and pretty optimistic that 2023 may just be my year. I know that 2023 will not be the year for everyone, but I hope that each of us remembers to see the good in it all. Here’s to making many new memories with loved ones. Happy New Year!!
XOXO – Katie <3